Friday, September 10, 2010

Remembering 9/11

In my lifetime there have been two most tragic events, in that one remembers exactly what they were doing and what was happening at the very moment. The first was when President Kennedy was shot. We thought we were invincible, we thought we were always safe we didn’t realize that it could happen here. The second was 9/11 when the twin towers fell. Again we thought we were invincible and we thought we were safe and protected from such things.

At first I wasn’t going to rise to the occasion. It felt strange, like some sort of sacrilege to write one more memorial song, one more memorial essay, to do one more memorial painting or one more memorial video. And then as I do when something affects me deeply I prayed about it. And God began to touch my heart and show me that we had lots of warnings for both events yet we didn’t believe there was a problem and those in leadership didn’t pay attention, they just kept appeasing us and telling us we didn’t have anything to worry about, that they were taking care of everything. We were naïve, but we aren’t anymore.

So in 2002 I wrote this poem: "Remembering 9/11
( Please click the Image  to see the poem clearly)

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Linda - I think that we should always remember this day - and writing, creating artwork, speaking up and praying for the families of those who lost their lives are great ways to do that! Love the poem =)

Linda Martin said...

I agree Kathleen. Im glad you liked the poem. =0)