Monday, August 02, 2010

Alder Hill Farm Equine Rescue: My 2010 Fundraiser Project

Why I  Decided to choose Alder Hill Farm Equine Rescue for my 2010 Animal Chairity Fundraiser
When I first found Alder Hill Equine Rescue on FaceBook at the beginning of the summer I absolutely fell in love with the two miniature horses they rescued. I couldn’t believe it at first. These two adorable creatures that 10 years ago would have cost hundreds of dollars to purchase and keep as pets. These were abandoned neglected and left to die or left to a fate possibly worse: to be sold by the pound for slaughter.
I cannot judge too harshly the previous owners of these animals, because I don’t know what disaster might have befallen them in this economy. Perhaps they had lost everything and were barely able to survive. Except by the grace of God there go any of us. But rather than judge anyone during the evil of the day, I decided that I wanted to help. So I approached Leslie, who is an awesome photographer, in addition to being a horse lover extraordinaire, about using some of her photographs as reference shots for some art I wanted to do this fall.
She said yes and asked that I donate a print or two toward their fundraising efforts. You see she and her husband and a whole network of people raise money and go to stock sales, search want ads and buy up horses to keep them from going to slaughter.  They give them medical care and help them gain weight and condition. They provide those that need it training then they find forever homes for the rescued horses to be adopted into. The thing that makes Alder Hill Farm different is that a number of these horses are loved horses from people that have fallen on hard times. Many of them have never known neglect and hurt. Leslie told me last week that their motto is: “ Rescuing Equines of any color”.  Their facebook page shows  a rainbow of breeds and colors.
So I didn’t just donate a couple of prints. I have designated  50% of the proceeds of the first painting (or everything above the cost of production and sale) toward  Alder  Hill Farm for the next 2 years. This includes the painting and any prints of the painting. This painting is called: The Alder Hill Mini’s and is  a watercolor of Napoleon and Prince. In addition I have donated an oil painting that I will donate 50% of the proceeds too as well.
I hope you will help out with this effort and buy one of these adorable prints. If you would rather donate directly to Alder Hill Farm Equine Rescue you can contact them through their website: http://www.alderhillfarm.com/  If you don’t want to buy a print or donate they have a number of horses ready for adoption.
Buy here on : LindaLMartinArtist.etsy.com   Thank you so much for helping out!

2 comments:

Art and Sew Forth said...

You are so wonderful! I am amazed at the number of rescues there are. It seems unending. The creation of God does indeed await liberation from the bondage of the sin of man...
But until then, we can help His creatures in need. Great work!

Linda Martin said...

Art and Sew, Thank-you for your kind words. Blessings.