Tuesday, June 22, 2004

"FIRST THOUGHT" (a new painting)


This painting is called First Thought.
Like that first thought you have when you wake up in the morning.

I was stuck by two things that made me smile. The pose is very close to a mid-evil icon painting. Just a flick of the wrist and that hand next to her face could be blessing the viewer. The other thing was.. I just sort of wanted her to be holding a little tiny Star Trek like cell phone. If you look twice you see she isn’t but the first time if you aren’t on your toes you might actually think you see it. Ahh, the joys of impressionism, and the interpretation of the viewer.

While I am still using my traditional earth tones I have expanded the pallet to employ more cobalt blue and cobalt violet. And instead of depending more on the burnt sienna as my base tone for skin I have moved more to a light warm pallet for the skin of cadmiums in the form of red light and yellow light. I’m not brave enough to use the greens in the skin tone yet but this too shall change with time.

My next challenge in this process is to try to develop consistency in color form technique and image. This is the most difficult and can at times become the most boring part of the process. It is like doing your multiplication tables over and over and over again.

Remember the goal here is to gain control, to discipline yourself as an artist in the techniques you discover so that when the real work begins what you accomplish in interpretation is done effortlessly. Posted by Hello

See more of the Art of L.L.Martin on www.llmartin.com

No comments: